Friday, July 20, 2007

How Can This Be?

by: Mr. November

Some people may ask how the Yanks could lose to the Devil Rays by a score of 14-4. This is an especially good question when you take into account a few things:

1) The Yanks had been playing some damn good baseball, up until yesterday at least.
2) If they have any hope of making the playoffs, the Yankees need to win games. In a row. With very few loses.
3) Tonight's opponent was the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, for the love of God.

I don't have the answer. If I did, I'd be the manger (and then I could sit on my ass, holding a bat, passively admitting that the 2007 version of the game of baseball is rapidly passing me by). But I will say this: the current Yankees team doesn't have that...thing. They don't seem to have what it takes to win when they simply have to win. They don't seem to care.

Finally, this team's attitude is matching the outward demeanor of its manager.

1 comment:

YankeeBloggers said...

Luckily for Ms. October, she did not watch one minute of Friday night's debacle... (believe me she was having a LOT more fun!) I thought the same thing "how could this happen?" when I found out the score of the game. While I sit here now watching the Yankees pound the Devil Rays 18-3.. and still going... the thing this team is lacking is consistency. Yes, they've piled on the runs for two straight games, but I would not be surprised if they go on to score 2 runs a game for the next week and lose 5 in a row. It angers me to see a bunch of the players celebrating in the dugout ... after pounding a last place team. I'm sure most Yankee fans would agree.. they've got a lot of work to do before starting to do that type of celebrating...