I've just returned from my first trip to the Bronx this year, but unfortunately can't report about opening day -- the final one in the current Yankee Stadium. After sitting in the damp, misty, cold weather for about three hours today, the Yankees decided to postpone the game. They kept referencing their 'weather authorities', who at first said things would clear up by 2:30 p.m., but later retratcted that announcement while the Yankee execs "evaluated their options." Gotta love those reliable weather people!!
Tomorrow is also supposed to be miserable during the day, so the game will start at 7 p.m. We decided to sell the tickets since my friend can't make it on Tuesday nights, and going into NYC for a night game during the week is a pain in the neck....
But it's mostly because I have no desire to sit there in the wet, miserable weather two days in a row... I can watch it in the comfort of my own home instead. The least they could have done was announce all the Yankee players... I would have been happy with that!
The few highlights were...
- Seeing new manager Joe Girardi walk the field with Brian Cashman to evaluate the conditions. Girardi even stopped to sign an autograph on his way back to the dugout.
- Watching some of the Blue Jays warm up right near our section. They received great applause for taking the field.. and one player even playfully tipped his cap. Another player started throwing balls in the stands... even one up into the upper deck
- Seeing Michael Kay do a live interview with Paul O'Neill on the scoreboard
- Watching a 'best of Yankee Stadium' video montage - I'm guessing they will be playing that clip a lot this year
- The new Yankee Stadium construction -- it's amazing how much progress they have made since last fall -- when all that was there was wooden beams. Now it actually resembles a stadium on the outside. I'm sure the production schedule is pretty agressive from now until the All Star Game... so they can show it off to the world.
I'm going to get all nostalgic like my Dad, who believes the Yankees will win the World Series this year, because all of the Yankee legends -- Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, Maris -- will all be "playing" in games this year... having their last hurrah....
Maybe they're the ones causing all the rain -- as they shed tears for the final baseball season that will be played in the place they once called home... Yankee Stadium... the House that Ruth built.